Sunday, October 21, 2012

Angry Chef: My day at school.

First I want to start off by saying that I am quite a lazy person but only at home. When It comes to school work and working in teams I am a team player. The only reason why I bring this up is because my day at the art institute of Atlanta was a very disappointing one. I am studying culinary arts and people may not know this but working at your own pace in a kitchen is highly unacceptable. That is something that a classmate of mine ( who I stupidly offered a space in my apartment to) with the made up name "Hanna". My group was made up of 5 people before. Me and the oldest person used to do all of the work in the group while the others waited around until we told them to do something. Now I am very glad that she isn't going to move in until she finds a job (which is very hard to find). If she moved in while we were in school I probably would have changed the locks and had her stuff laying outside. There have been many times where "Hanna" has slacked off during our labs. We stupidly voted her as team captain and she thinks that just because she is team captain that we can bust our asses doing all kinds of things in the kitchen and she can just do what ever the hell she want at her 'own pace'. Bullshit! Let me tell you about my "team".


Other than 'Hanna' we have 2 boys with the made up names 'Kevin' and 'Robert' both slackers. Kevin spends his time walking around aimless looking into the sky and rapping to himself and Robert will just stand there and do nothing until told to do so. If these people worked in my restaurant They would have been fired the first day. Robert had just started to get up and actually work like he is supposed to. I think that as a chef you need to get your ass up, your head out of the clouds and get to work.

My day:
I already have to get up early and get ready for school at about 6:00am to give myself time to get up. I am always walking to school and I get there at about 7:30am and school starts at 8:00am.
So I am already tired and very cranky so pissing me off would be a bad idea. Any who, halfway through class we were learning how to cut up a whole chicken. It was very easy and Robert and I were the only ones to watch the lecture. The other two were off printing out some homework they did the night before that they had a week to do. Hanna is always the first one at school so she had time. Kevin is always late so I don't know what his problem is. Either way they make our team look bad.
So after our teacher that we call Chef was done lecturing they had arrived back from the printers. I was pissed of course but I remained cool. We did what we needed to to do and when it came down to actually cooking the food Hanna told me that since in got to cut open the chicken that she would handle the stove. We had been fighting over that stove because only one person gets to work at the stove. I was alright with that because it was fair but she didnt really care about being fair she wanted the stove that's all. If she didn't care a thing about that stove then she would have told me to do it. When class is near ending everyone cleans. The crap in the floor get swept and mopped up tables ar wiped. The thousands of dishes are cleaned. Well While every one was cleaning Hanna decided to work at her "own pace". I told her "Hanna could you please work a little faster I dont want Chef yelling at us." I dont know if he would but I would. She responds very nicely but with a sight attitude. "I work at my own place don't tell me what to do I'm the team captian." I respond " Well your pace isn't working for me. Im not getting yelled at and I am not getting a bad grade." And I walked off. When i came back i cleaned up the table better than everyone else had and this conceited but halfway polite sexy jerk came and grabbed me from the table and told us to help him with dishes. Of course to avoid looking lazy I immediatly came to help.

Now I agree, i can be very bossy and sometimes a little mean but i have to say that i remained very nice that day.
I don't allow people to mess around with my money. I am paying for my education there, We are being graded as a team. If one person screws up then the rest of us does.  DO NOT let people screw around with your money. Espically if your paying thousands for school.

No comments:

Post a Comment