Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Oberweis is crack.

Sprinkles and creamy and melt in your mouth goodness is all that I need on a Wednesday night. I cant wait until I have it again. I just finished a small cup of  Oberweis Birthday Cake and I already regret finishing it.  It had been a while since I had the pleasure of eating such a wonderful cup of ice cream. I knew what I was getting my self into when I bought it. The many calories that was in this particular cup of ice cream bothered me. However,  I didn't care I had a raging sweet tooth that needed attention. Sometimes being naughty is a sweet thing.

It had been a long day at the office today. Answering calls to annoyingly angry patients today can really put a toll on my nerves. I knew that today would be particularly shitty when I woke up. However,  after my normal pizza dinner, my sweet tooth started to kick in. I knew better not to ignore it. When a sweet tooth start to come in full force, something must me done. The first thing that I thought of when I reached for my car keys was Costco. My initial plan was to go to Costco and pick up a red velvet cake. Yes, it was that important. However, when I pulled up into the empty driveway I immediately realized my mistake. It was only ten o'clock and Costco was closed. I sat in the driveway thinking to my self on what to do. Where would I go? Then it hit me; I hadn't been to Oberweis in a while. So I pulled out of the driveway and made my way to what I thought was heaven.

On this particular night I was lucky. There was no one in line and the doors were wide open. As I made my way into the brightly lit place my sweet tooth got even more violent. My mouth watered in anticipation as walked through the single doors. The smell of bleach that would normally irritate me no longer did. My main focus was on the young girl behind the counter. Thankfully she wasn't like any other teenager and lagged on me. She was sharp and ready to take and make my order as soon as possible. I quickly told her what I wanted while trying not to slobber at the words " Birthday Cake please". Even the words made my taste buds scream. I handed her my fully loaded credit cards and within seconds the order was made. The young girl turned quickly around and headed to the kitchen to make what would then be the best ice cream that I have tasted.

I waited as patiently as I could for her to make it while staring at the words above me written in black: Birthday Cake. I stood slightly gaping at the words. My mouth was still watering so much that if I opened my mouth any larger, another ark would have to be built. She returned to me with a big smile on her face with my prize. " Have a safe night" she said. My eyes were locked onto the ice cream with the spoon already in it. I quickly made my way to the car while being careful not to let anyone see me wildly going at it.

The first bite was a memorable one. As I slid my spoon in with ease I could see the cold smoke lifting off of the ice cream. As soon as the first scoop was separated from the rest of the cup, my senses lit up. My sense of smell became increasingly powerful as I lifted the spoon to my mouth. The smell of vanilla frosting gave my nose a big cold hug. Memories of my childhood birthday parties came to mind for a brief moment as I let the ice cream settle and melt ever so gracefully on my tongue.  A hint of regret glimmered in the back of my head after every bite. I knew that after I finished the ice cream, that the sweet after taste would linger and I would want more. I knew that I was forced to watch my calorie intake despite my wild cravings for ice cream. There was nothing that I could do.

Finishing the last bite of heaven that only cost as little as five dollars was all that I had. My senses went back to their normal state and the feeling of euphoria was gone. My prize was gone and it was finally time to go back home. My long day started back up again the next day and I had to prepare myself once again. However, despite my sadness, I knew that Wednesday would come once again and my sweet escapade would start.

No comments:

Post a Comment